The Green Deal call will mobilise research and innovation to foster a just and sustainable societal transition aiming at ‘leaving nobody behind’. Projects are expected to deliver tangible and visible results relatively quickly and show how research and innovation can provide concrete solutions for the Green Deal main priorities.
This is why the call will support
- Pilot applications, demonstration projects and innovative products
- Innovation for better governance of the green and digital transition
- Social and value chain innovation
In addition to technological development and demonstration, the call encourages experimentation and social innovation for new ways to engage civil society and empower citizens.
In relation to the current pandemic, the call will contribute to the green and digital recovery and to increasing societal resilience for example in agriculture, biodiversity acceleration of renewables, clean transport and modernisation towards a clean and circular industry.
In order to shape the call, the European Commission offers the stakeholders the possibility to provide their feedback by taking part in the surveys for each area:
- Call area 1: Increasing climate ambition: cross-sectoral challenges
- Call area 2: Clean, affordable and secure energy
- Call area 3: Industry for a clean and circular economy
- Call area 4: Energy and resource-efficient buildings
- Call area 5: Sustainable and smart mobility
- Call area 6: Farm to Fork
- Call area 7: Restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Call area 8: Zero-pollution, toxic-free environment
- Call area 9: Strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal
- Call area 10: Empowering citizens for transition towards a climate neutral, sustainable Europe
- Call area 11: Accelerating the clean energy transition and access in partnership with Africa
The presentation of draft topics and the opportunity to give feedback provided to stakeholders shall in under no circumstances bind the European Commission in the final formulation of topics for the call. The binding call text will be published following the formal decision by the European Commission on the Funding and tender opportunities portal.
Green Deal call area 9: strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal
Climate action requires additional research and innovation efforts that extend beyond innovative solutions at a relatively mature state of development. Despite significant progress in our understanding of the complex issues linked to climate change and sustainability over the past few decades, it is crucial to further improve relevant knowledge. Area 9 activities will strengthen the European knowledge base, adopting a longer-term perspective and acting as a bridge to Horizon Europe.
Follow this link for Topic 3: A transparent and accessible ocean - Towards a Digital Twin of the Ocean.
Publication and opening of the call are planned for mid-September 2020.
Deadline for giving your online feedback for the call: 3 June 2020, please find the full official call here.